Live webinar September 21, 2021 @ 11:00 AM
OR available available video recording
SUMMARY: This course will discuss recent changes at the Landlord Tenant Board in the Rules of Practice, the recent Bill 194 changes to the Act, and discuss some of the challenges and solutions to achieving the desired result for your clients.
- How COVID-19 changed everything at the LTB
- Timing issues, delays
- Hearing and technology issues, Zoom, EATS, electronic payment
- Rules of Practice, disclosure of documents
- Bill 184 changes to the RTA
- The complexities surrounding LTB eviction notices
- Case law – When it matters – When it doesn’t
- The sources of law – Statute, Regs., Rules, Guidelines, Case law
- Binding vs persuasive law
- The use of LTB decisions when tendered by the other side
- Hearing Tactics
- Preparation is the key – Know the key elements of the statute
- Putting the Member in a box
- Working backward from caselaw to the evidence
- Treating every hearing as preparation for Divisional Court
- Caselaw Update
- Odds and Ends
- Relief from eviction – Understanding s.83 and s.78(11)
- Using s.207 for large rent or damages sums > $35K
- Does an N11 protect a landlord from a T5 after N12 is served
- Does the lack of an N12 being served protect the landlord from a T5
- Broad compensatory remedies for tenant applications
For Lawyers and Paralegals
Law Society of Ontario
• Substantive Hours: This program is eligible for up to 5 hours
Law Societies of Alberta, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia
• For members of these Law Societies, consider including this course as a CPD learning activity in your mandatory annual requirements
Currently awaiting further accreditation
Harry Fine Paralegal Services
Harry Fine is a paralegal of 17 years after sitting as an adjudicator at the Ontario Landlord and Tenant Board. In 2018 Harry was honoured with the Law Society’s prestigious William J. Simpson Distinguished Paralegal Award. He is one of only 7 paralegals to receive that honour.
Harry is committed to providing excellent Small Claims Court, Landlord & Tenant Board and Human Rights Tribunal expertise to individuals and businesses, big and small, across the Greater Toronto area.
Harry has taught aspiring paralegals at Humber College, was RECO approved for his course to Realtors, and has spoken at virtually every Real Estate Board in Ontario, along with dozens of brokerages.
Harry is a former director of the Ontario Paralegal Association.